25 July, 2011

A Love Letter to all Kansas City Plants

Hi Kansas City Peace Activists and Nuclear Resistance Leaders!

I'm in town from Nevada (I grew up in Independence and helped found the City Movie-Center in KC in the 1980's)...I first became interested in nukes when I made a documentary at KC Public Access; Chernobyl One Year Later:  It Could Happen Here after interviewing Dr. Robert Gale, who treated the firefighters at Chernobyl.  I met my husband doing work for the Leonard Peltier Defense Committee and was one of the first KC ACORN organizers hired in '87...
 
I'm doing a show for the Fringe Festival titled "The Museum of Atomic Surrealism:  The Place Where Nuclear Bombs and Nuclear Power are Inseparable"...it represents the culmination of five years of research into the collective artists' response to, and the responses of the Hibakusha and Indigenous Peoples affected by the history of the birth of atomic technologies.  Its an installation at the Wine Gallery at 1911 McGee.  

There is a short performance art piece this Wednesday at 7:00pm :  "A Love Letter to all Kansas City Plants"...presenting 'Mother Uranium and her Native Sons'  (my kids are half-Washoe, and we live on the Washoe Indian Reservation in Dresslerville, Nevada...)

I'm presently a K-12 art teacher in a rural Nevada public school, and have developed an interdisciplinary curriculum based on these ideas with my colleagues (in a very conservative community)!  Two years ago, I established an organic school-to-table garden there, and am on the board of our local food cooperative.  I so want to reach out to leaders and activists here--we are all so war-weary, and yet there is still so much resistance necessary.  Chris, a young math teacher, came by on Sunday, and I gave him the floor to speak about the petition and legislation you all have going before voters.  I'm proud to hail from this place, and to call it home.  Please come out so that I can meet you!

I have a gift for you as well:  an 8' x 2'  banner that shows the places where radiation leaks from nuclear power plants--the one in Callahan, the three in Nebraska, and two from the coasts:  Diablo in Cali (we're particularly worried about that one because its built on an earthquake fault) as well as one I picked on the Jersey shore to illustrate that these radiation leaks are a coast-to-coast reality.  

Please, come share insights--I welcome collaboration and a chance to learn from one another!  

Solidarity,

laura fillmore

No comments:

Post a Comment